From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:25:10
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> >> > and the vi command always seg faults. Does that mean the /dev/hda3
3 >> >> > image is done-for and I should just start the laptop over from
4 >> scratch
5 >> >> > and import my /etc/ and /home/ directories when it's re-installed?
6 >> >>
7 >> >> I would try putting it all back and re-emerge everything (emerge -vaD
8 >> >> --emptytree world). It would fix if anything bad happened to the
9 >> compiled
10 >> >> things and you could start using the things which survived sooner.
11 >> >
12 >> > I tried re-emerging vim from within the chroot and I got:
13 >> >
14 >> > /usr/portage/eclass/vim.eclass: line 342: make: command not found
15 >> >
16 >> > What do you think?
17 >> >
18 >>
19 >> Have you checked the laptop drive? If it is faulty then re-installing is
20 >> just wasting your time.
21 >>
22 >> I would recommend checking the drive with smartmontools before going any
23 >> further. Given the problems outlined above, I would make a package for
24 >> it on your desktop and do a binary install of the result on the laptop.
25 >
26 > I haven't checked the laptop drive yet. Can I make a smartmontools
27 > package for the x86 laptop on the amd64 desktop? How can I do that?
31 Actually, I just noticed that smartmontools is installed on the livecd,
32 so just use that! Post the output of '/usr/sbin/smartctl -d ata -a
33 /dev/hda' - (assuming that your hard drive *is* /dev/hda of course...)
34
35 Cheers
36
37 Mark