From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 18:34:35
1 Hello,
2
3 On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 18:35:32 +0200, David Haller wrote:
5 >> >You do know that only the desktop profiles include cups as a default
6 >> >USE flag? The one I recommended does not.
7 >>
8 >> Try compiling icedtea, libreoffice, scribus and whatnot without
9 >> pulling in cups, no matter the use-flags. And "sabotaging" the ebuild
10 >> and buildsystem to not use cups leads to failed builds, BT,TriedThat :((
11 >
12 >The OP wanted to set up a "snappier" system. Java and LibreOffice are
13 >not the first programs that spring to mind when I think snappier...
14
15 Well, I use LaTeX anyway for "office", but one needs stuff that mom is
16 used to, so one can talk her through stuff, eh? And Java? There's e.g.
17 tvbrowser and MediathekView. No need to talk about snappy but I
18 digressed from the OP anyway already. I just happily jumped on the
19 topic of leaving stuff out that one doesn't need. And generally stuff
20 you don't have installed cannot be attacked, esp. such ubiquitously
21 used stuff as cups (used by MacOS/iOS too), is an important attack
22 vector less installed.
23
24 Actually: mom uses libreoffice-calc to edit a .csv file, that is then
25 fed to a perl-script by me (via a couple of links on the XFCE/formerly
26 WinXP Desktop (via a .cmd batch) calling it differently), that
27 generates a LaTeX file using labels.sty that is fed to pdflatex and
28 spits out a PDF to be printed on labels, and even starting a
29 pdf-viewer to check it before printing ;) Worked just like a charm
30 for, ah, about 7+ years without any maintanece required, but
31 recentenly, mom must've borked up the charset on saving multiply,
32 probably due to changed defaults in libreoffice, looked like double
33 encoded utf8, but was borked even beyond that. Manually fixing it
34 turned out to be the least work. *Gah*. As mom wanted to weed out
35 outdated stuff anyway, she did it, but we talked about it and I'd had
36 done it.
37
38 Except from that, mom writes her letters and stuff with -writer, and
39 has been doing so since 199x (then with StarOffice).
40
41 >> Why does a GUI (a USER INTERFACE Toolkit fer f*** sake! Not a Printer
42 >> Interface!) _ALWAYS_ be able to print (if I interpret the AWT right)?
43 >> That's just dumb.
44 >
45 >No argument there.
46
47 *MEH* :) Yeah, there's a couple of "dumb" deps by upstream, that are
48 not configurable and not even easily patched out (I think I have one
49 where I could patch, but usually, it's too hardwired in, so to speak).
50 Makes you want to grab a fish (fresh from Lutetia), and slap the
51 culprit around the head with it ... And boy! Are we in for something
52 getting systemd hardwired as a dep ... *cringe*
53
54 >> [1] speaking of that: I noticed, that when I bork[2] an ebuild in
55 >> /usr/local/portage, it gets silently(!) ignored and the one from
56 >> /usr/portage is used. The only indication is the flag on the
57 >> package e.g. ::gentoo vs. ::local. Only once I move the gentoo
58 >> ebuilds into e.g. the .attic subfolder, emerge tells me what's
59 >> actually wrong with my ::local ebuild in /usr/local/portage. Have
60 >> I overlooked an option of emerge or is that a bug?
61 >
62 >ebuild /usr/local/portage/cat/pkg/pkg-x.y.ebuild merge
63 >
64 >will use the specific ebuild you give it.
65
66 Got to alias/script that! But it is a clumsy workaround. As your local
67 overlay (or any with a higher precedence) should override the base,
68 emerge should at least tell you about the problem with the overlay,
69 and then e.g. ask to emerge the base (/usr/portage), or abort. How
70 about it? I consider it a bug (unless I and Neil overlooked a switch
71 to emerge, and even then, I'd be for a different default of that, as
72 hey, if I do an overlay, I want to be told if I borked anything there,
73 not just almost quietly ignored, but anyways not told the actual
74 error, until I remove the /usr/portage version (again: missed option
75 to emerge?))
76
77 @all: What's your take on this? Have I (and Neil?) missed an option?
78 or has emerge a "sort of a bug"?
79
80 -dnh, who has not yet ever looked at emerge code, but guessing it
81 should not be much of a problem emitting the errors in the overlay
82 and some simple handling afterwards ;)
85 vi, pr.n.
86 A computer program designed to stress-test the use of modal bleeping.