From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:59:17
1 On 6/24/19 2:40 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Yes, I've done the same on two boxes that have no need of lvm. It does
3 > seem wasteful though.
4
5 Probably.
6
7 I dislike the fact that other things that need device mapper have to
8 drag LVM along, or apply (what I call) a device-mapper-only /hack/.
9
10 I feel like device-mapper should be it's own package that other things
11 depend on; LVM, RAID (mdadm, et al.), multi-path, LUKS (cryptsetup).
12
13 > I forget the detail now, but a recent-ish version of sys-fs/cryptsetup
14 > found it needed a hard dependency on some of the code in lvm2.
15
16 Did you apply (what I call) the device-mapper-only /hack/. Or was LVM
17 pulled in for device-mapper?
18
19 > It seems to me that we have here an opportunity for redesign of certain
20 > packages. ("We" the community, that is.)
21
22 Agreed.
23
24 > On this box, which does need lvm for RAID-1 on two SSDs:
25
26 Do you /need/ LVM? Or is it extra that comes with device-mapper?
31 Grant. . . .
32 unix || die