From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage unable to write to /usr/portage
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 17:44:02
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 9:37 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I run emerge as root but the proper permissions, or at least was several
4 >> years ago, is portage:portage and rwx access for both. This is my settings.
5 > By default portage drops permissions to portage:portage during most
6 > phases, including reading the repository (which requires executing
7 > ebuilds and eclasses even for what are intended to be read-only
8 > functions).
9 >
10 > If every file in the repository isn't readable by portage, then you
11 > will have problems.
12 >
13 > Portage also drops permissions during syncing, so if you have files
14 > that aren't modifiable by portage then that can also cause issues if
15 > you sync.
16 >
17 > In general it is best if everything is 664/775 portage:portage in the
18 > repo. It is pretty easy to mess this up if you try to update the repo
19 > manually, such as by running git pull as root in a git repo. If you
20 > use emerge --sync to update then you won't have this problem. If
21 > you've messed up permissions you can go fixing them with chown/chmod,
22 > or you can just delete the whole repository directory tree and do an
23 > emerge --sync to re-create it.
24
25 I wasn't positive on the rwx part, but I knew in the past it had to be
26 portage:portage.  I think I messed it up when I was moving mine to /var
27 and may have even asked on here about it.  Thing is, if someone posts
28 what they are and theirs works, then it should work on other systems,
29 unless as you say below, they been monkeying around with stuff that
30 isn't good to mess with.  ;-)
31
32 I do all my stuff as root anyway.  I keep a Konsole open that is root
33 for doing backups, emerge and several others things I do quite often.  I
34 can't make it without a way to run commands as root.
37 >> If I recall correctly, if you
38 >> add your user to the portage group, you can run a lot of commands as
39 >> user.
40 > Unless you have needed files set to be non-readable by everyone you
41 > should be able to run read-only portage commands under any user, like
42 > emerge --pretend. If you've locked anything down then being in the
43 > portage group would obviously help with that, assuming you've done the
44 > locking-down correctly.
45 >
46 >> I think you have to be root to actually install something tho.
47 > Obviously. Nothing in portage is suid so unless you've modified your
48 > system to have a very non-conventional security model you can't go
49 > installing almost anything as non-root. Portage drops permissions by
50 > default during most operations, but not during install or running
51 > install-related scripts.
54 True.  Sometimes a person can do strange things without realizing it.
55 Even a otherwise experienced person can do something brain dead stupid
56 at times.  lol  Hindsight may hurt the pride a bit.  I've learned to
57 just roll with it.  :/
58
59 Hopefully the OP got it working tho.
60