From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Need help interpreting kernel panic
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 19:12:30
1 I didn't want any typos in this kernel output so took a small screen
2 shot.
3
4 I'm working on a new vm (vbox) install of gentoo but having trouble
5 getting a kernel that boots.
6
7 Architecture=amd64 (not strict)
8
9 I started out by copying a .config from a running gentoo vm and using
10 it to do `make oldconfig' then fumbled my way thru the questions,
11 followed by a `make menuconfig' to look things over.
12
13 That kernel panicked and it seems to say it could not mount an ATA
14 disk.
15
16 Ok, went back to make oldconfig with that copied .config and and just
17 yessed my way thru the questions. I mean accepting the default on
18 them all.
19
20 Again I get a kernel panic but this time its different. It seems to
21 mount the disks ok but then fails to find a working `init' command.
22
23 Checking that with sysrescueCD I see /sbin/init does exist on that new vm.
24 and is executable.
25
26 The disk setup is sda1=/boot sda2=swap sda3=/home sda4=/
27
28 root and kernel lines from grub.conf:
29
30 root (hd0,0)
31 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4 vga=0x31b video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap
32
33 (see fstab below:)

KernelPanic-2017-02-11_124711.png image/png