From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo box
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 09:05:23
1 On Thursday 05 Nov 2015 23:45:11 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm putting a new box, it will run Gentoo (hylafax, Asterisk) and
3 > Windows 7 in VirtualBox (mainly). Box will run 24/7.
4 >
5 > Below are the components. Will I have a problem with any of them or is
6 > there a better choice?
7 > (the box need to be small as I don't have much room).
8 >
9 > - INWIN BL631 Low Power Micro ATX Case w/300W power supply
10
11 What is the PSU? For a 24-7 server/workstation this becomes a critical
12 component and other than your SSD a cause of early failure. Buy something
13 with good quality capacitors (Japanese), or be prepared to get your soldering
14 out in the not too distant future.
17 > - Gigabit GA-78LMT-USB3 w/DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan
18 > - Samsung 850 EVO Series Solid State Drive 1-TB
19
20 Will you be eating up as much as 1-TB of data on a day to day basis? I would
21 suggest you buy two SSDs and set up a RAID1, to guard against SSD failure,
22 plus a spinning drive for filesystems that are re-written frequently (e.g.
23 application caches), critical data and back ups.
26 > - LG GH240 SuperMulti 24x DVD Writer, SATA (not sure if I even need it)?
27
28 If you don't need it I'd save your money and spend it on a better CPU, MoBo,
29 and/or RAM.
32 > - Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB DDR3-1600MHz CL 10 Dual Channel (4x
33 > 8GB) Total 32GB RAM
34
35 Unless you will be running large databases and websites in RAM I can't see you
36 ever using up all of this. I'd save the money and buy faster memory (2133MHz,
37 or 2400MHz), or if speed (O/C) is not important buy ECC memory instead.
40 > - AMD FX-6300 Processor 3.5GHz w/ 14MB Cache
41
42 A reliable workhorse and easy to O/C, but rather dated and overtaken both in
43 performance and economy by Intel's products. If economy features in your
44 requirements and you don't do heavy gaming you may want to consider AMD's APUs
45 like Kaveri. In a few years you will probably save in electricity the small
46 difference in price.
47
48 You will need a better cooler for either, if you are going to O/C them.
51 > - Asus GeForce GT610 CMS 2GB PCI-E w/ DVI HDMI
54 Regards,
55 Mick