From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:04:03
1 On 08/27/2010 01:50 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I been putting this off but it looks like the newer kernels are going to
4 >> push me to changing this real soon. I have a older system, Abit NF7 2.0
5 >> motherboard with the older IDE drives. I'm still using the older IDE
6 >> drivers. This is what I have currently:
7 >>
8 >> hda Actual hard drive OS on this
9 >> hdb Actual hard drive Not in use
10 >> hdc Actual hard drive home partition
11 >> hdd DVD burner Duh! It's a burner.
12 >> sda Actual hard drive connected through a SATA PCI card. Misc stuff.
13 >
14 > The advice by the other posters to label your disks is a good one. I'm
15 > using labels too. Not sure why I didn't think to mention it :P
16 >
17 > Applying labels to your filesystems is trivial. Simply use the e2label
18 > utility (it's in the sys-fs/e2fsprogs package and installed by default,
19 > so there's nothing new to emerge). For example, if your hda1 is your
20 > root partition and your hda2 your swap, you can label them like this:
21 >
22 > e2label /dev/hda1 GentooRoot
23 > e2label /dev/hda2 GentooSwap
24 >
25 > Note: hda1, not just hda. You are labeling the filesystem on a
26 > partition, not the whole drive.
27 >
28 > After you label all your filesystems, you simply modify your /etc/fstab
29 > like this:
30 >
31 > Before:
32 > /dev/hda1 / ext4 noatime 0 1
33 > /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
34 >
35 > After:
36 > /dev/disk/by-label/GentooRoot / ext4 noatime 0 1
37 > /dev/disk/by-label/GentooSwap none swap sw 0 0
38 >
39 > That is, you simply change "/dev/blah" to
40 > "/dev/disk/by-label/DriveLabel" and that's it.
41
42 Yet another way to use labels:
43
44 When you make the filesystem, apply the name then i.e.:
45
46 mke2fs -j -L SpeedySSD /dev/sde1
47
48 then in your /etc/fstab use the label like this:
49
50 LABEL=SpeedySSD /usr/home ext3 relatime 0 2