From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:48:19
1 Mick wrote:
2 > You will need to patch your kernel (in your sdb test OS) and then you
3 > will also need to make a reiser4 fs on your sdb partition(s) (for that
4 > you'll need to emerge sys-fs/reiser4progs). If you want to be able to
5 > mount reiser4 from within your sda OS, you will need of course to
6 > patch your current kernel to start with, alternatively use a LiveCD
7 > like sysrescue which comes already patched. For patches look in here:
8 > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/
9 > The way I do what you are trying to do is start with the existing OS
10 > on sda, partition sdb, tar contents of sda partitions into
11 > corresponding sdb partitions and then modify fstab. Depending on what
12 > you want to test you may not need grub installed into sdb's MBR and
13 > you may not need a /boot in sdb. As long as you are not going to
14 > remove sda from the machine you should be able to add a couple of
15 > lines in the original grub.conf to select to boot /dev/sdb, while
16 > using sda's MBR and /boot partition. HTH.
17
18 I could have swore reiserfs4 was in the kernel. Sure enough, it ain't.
19 I'll wait then. I don't want to take the chance that something goes
20 belly up then not have a bootable way to fix things.
21
22 Now to go unmerge the other since I can't use it anyway. lol
23
24 Thanks.
25
26 Dale
27
29
30 P. S. I got new glasses today. They have bifocals too. I can actually
31 read what I type. Here comes that turbo charger again. lol