From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making sense of reported ZFS disk usage
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 15:30:21
1 On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Jeremi Piotrowski
2 <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > This is one of the problems with copy-on-write filesystems - they make
5 > disk space accounting more complicated especially with snapshots.
6
7 Indeed, it is one of the problems with copy-on-write anything. Shared
8 memory is a similar situation - do you count glibc in RAM one time or
9 many?
10
11 It also gets complicated with compression and dynamic mirroring and
12 such, though at least in these cases a better prediction could
13 probably be made than is often done.
14
15 Free space usage in these cases really needs to distinguish between
16 shared/exclusive space, but in the case of the former it will probably
17 never be easy to display in a concise manner just what you need to do
18 to reclaim that space. Obviously shared space can only be reclaimed
19 if all its references are deleted.
20
21 The flip-side of this is that copying data is really cheap. Alias cp
22 to cp --reflink=auto and you can use a copy in many situations where
23 you might have previously used a hard/symbolic link. Obviously all
24 three of those do different things, but before I had reflinks I found
25 myself using hard/symbolic links when they were less than ideal.
29 Rich