From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 04:13:48
1 On 11/11/2011 09:22 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > So if I push, I don't really have backups because anyone who breaks
4 > into the backed-up system can delete all of its backups like this:
5 >
6 > rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 1s backup@12.34.56.78::/path/to/backup
7 >
8 > And if I pull, none of my backed-up systems are secure because anyone
9 > who breaks into the backup server has root read privileges on every
10 > backed-up system and will thereby "gain full root privileges quickly."
13 It's a false dichotomy[1], but sums up the trade-off between those two
14 options well enough.
15
16 The last "hacker" who tried to delete everything on my system was a
17 5.25in floppy. So, I'm biased towards the other case.
20 [1] Third option: choose push or pull, and ALSO make off-site read-only
21 backups of the backup server every once in a while.