From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:50:54
1 Daddy <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On March 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 > > This revision makes 2 changes...
6 > >
7 > > A) The removal of udev is now standard instead of optional. udev-181
8 > > and higher will be pulling in kmod, and anything else that kmod depends
9 > > on. Removing udev will avoid unnecessary cruft on your machine.
10 > >
11 > > B) Splitting up step 3) into 3a) and 3b) for greater clarity as
12 > > requested in user feedback.
13 > >
14 > > The usual warnings apply...
15 > > * this is a beta
16 > > * use a spare test machine
17 > > * if you don't follow the instructions correctly, the result might be
18 > > an unbootable linux
19 > > * even if you do follow instructions, the result might be an unbootable
20 > > linux
23 > > 1) Set up your kernel to support and automount a devtmpfs filesystem at
24 > > /dev
25 > >
26 > > * If you prefer to edit .config directly, set
27 > > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
28 > >
29 > > * If you prefer "make menuconfig", the route is as shown below. Note
30 > > that the "Autount devtmpfs..." option won't appear until you enable
31 > > "Maintain a devtmpf..." option.
32 > >
33 > > make menuconfig
34 > > Device Drivers --->
35 > > Generic Driver Options --->
36 > > [*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
37 > > [*] Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the
38 > rootfs
39 > >
40 > > Once you've made the changes, rebuild the kernel.
43 > > 2) Set up for emerging busybox. busybox requires the "mdev" flag in
44 > > this situation. The "static" flag is probably also a good idea. In
45 > > file /etc/portage/package.use add the line
46 > >
47 > > sys-apps/busybox static mdev
48 > >
49 > > Now, "emerge busybox"
52 > > 3 a) Create /sbin/linuxrc containing at least
53 > >
54 > > #!/bin/busybox ash
55 > > mount -t proc proc /proc
56 > > mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
57 > > exec /sbin/init
58 > >
59 > > This should be enough for most users. If you have an unusual setup,
60 > > you may need additional stuff in there. Remember to
61 > > "chmod 744 /sbin/linuxrc" to make it executable.
62 > >
63 > > In the bootloader "append" line, include "init=/sbin/linuxrc". If
64 > > you're using lilo remember to re-run lilo to implement the changes. If
65 > > you're using another bootloader, make the equivalant initialization.
68 > > 4) Remove udev from the services list, and replace it with mdev. Type
69 > > the following 2 commands at the command line
70 > > rc-update del udev sysinit
71 > > rc-update add mdev sysinit
74 > > 5) reboot to your new kernel. You're now running without using udev.
77 > > 6) Remove udev as per the following instructions...
78 > >
79 > > * execute the following command at the commandline
80 > > emerge --unmerge sys-fs/udev
81 > >
82 > > * In file /atc/portage/package.mask, append the line
83 > > sys-fs/udev
84 > > Create the file if it doesn't already exist. You now have a totally
85 > > udev-free machine
86 > >
87 > > --
88 > > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
91 > Having personally long considered Lennart Poettering a 'spawn of the devil'
92 > my question is ... is this your reaction to systemd?
93 >
94 > One minor typo to point out:
95 >
96 > /atc/portage/package.mask should be /etc/portage/package.mask
97 >
98 > I just joined this list last week, but might consider sacrificing some
99 > hardware to join your endeavor if you need more testers.
100 OK, I am not seeing mdev in the portage tree -- I would like to learn
101 more about this before I take the plunge. So where do I get it and does
102 it create the appropriate device nodes, etc?
106 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
107 How do
108 you spend it?
109
110 John Covici