From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Errors in nonexistent partitions
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 07:48:16
1 On Sunday, 13 September 2020 17:05:22 BST Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 13/09/20 13:26, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > So I'm still left wondering what to do. I'm happy that the hardware isn't
4 > > on the blink, anyway.
5 >
6 > Can you use gdisk to create a new partition in some empty space on the
7 > disk, delete it again, and write a partition table? Basically anything
8 > to get gdisk or gparted to actually write a new partition table (that
9 > should be the same as the old one, of course).
10
11 Nice idea. Thanks.
12
13 > If there are hidden problems that udisk or whatever is picking up on -
14 > garbage data somewhere most likely - that's the most likely way of
15 > clearing it.
16
17 I used gdisk to create a new partition at the end of the disk, then rebooted
18 so that the kernel would have the right disk layout. No change.
19
20 Just before this started, I booted Win-10 on /dev/sdb and ran its update
21 process. I don't use it for anything at the moment, just keeping it up to date
22 in case I ever do. I do this most weeks, but is it possible that Win-10
23 tampered in some way that it hasn't before? I'm seeing these errors on /dev/
24 sda (which does have an NTFS partition) and /dev/nvme0n1 (which does not), but
25 not on /dev/sdb.
28 Regards,
29 Peter.