From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT SATA card recommendations
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:29:37
1 Hey,
2
3 In the next month or so I wish/need to make some storage modifications, I'm
4 running out of space, quickly.
5 Currently it's a horrible hodge podge of 2 RAID5s in one VG, and 1 RAID10 in
6 another VG. 1 of 3 is PATA other 2 SATA (RAID5), 5 of 5 SATA (RAID5), and 4
7 of 4 PATA (RAID10), 1 of 1 PATA (boot and OS). Spread over the on-board PATA
8 controller, a PCI 2 port PATA (for the 4 drives in RAID10), and an 8 port
9 marvell SATA card (which doesn't have a usable driver I can find after
10 2.6.13).
11 That lot in a very old globalwin 302 (??) midi tower.
12 Yes, it's *hot*.
13
14 I already know I'm going for a Antec P180, so I'm limited to a maximum of 10
15 drives, one boot disk, and a CD (something I'm missing now).
16 320GB drives are the best £/GB at the moment, even if they only give 298GB
17 usable space.
18 10 x 298GB / RAID6 == just under twice what I've got already, and more
19 redundancy.
20
21 So, the point in my post. I need a 12 port SATA card that works properly with
22 open-source drivers (preferable in kernel).
23 Cost isn't the primary concern, even if this is only for home use.
24 I don't need, or in fact want, on-board RAID, software RAID is better in my
25 opinion.
26 3x 4 ports is an option, at a push. I'd rather not lose the gigabit nic
27 though.
28 I see that 3ware do a 12 port card, but it's over 500 quid! Cost may not be
29 the primary concern, but 500 quid is still 500 quid!
30
31 Anyone with any experience?
32
33 Ta