From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with firefox/libvpx
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 18:26:36
1 Am Samstag, 8. Februar 2020, 05:26:20 CET schrieb John Covici:
2 > Hi. Well, I have run into a problem on the world update I am about to
3 > do? Firefox requires libvpx-1.7.0 and handbrake wants 8.x. Now
4 > there is a use flag systemlibvpx which is enabled, I am assuming if I
5 > disable that the great God of portage will let me continue with my
6 > update -- any reason why I should not do this?
7 >
8 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
9
10 Hi, indeed. If you disable USE="system-libvpx" (i.e. don't set it activly
11 or set USE="-system-libvpx" portage will tell firefox to use the bundled
12 version. Bundling software is generally spoken a really bad habit, and
13 within the firefox package you can see several USE="-system-something"
14 flags, that are just a try to unbundle things on user's choice.
15
16 Hope that helps a bit,
17 Nils
20 PGP fingerprint: '00EF D31F 1B60 D5DB ADB8 31C1 C0EC E696 0E54 475B'
21 keybase.io/nfreydank