From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 23:06:35
1 On 2016-08-30, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:42:05 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> > And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
5 >>
6 >> I agree. If you want to transport something between Linux systems,
7 >> use ext2/3 and use "mount" options to handle the permission issues.
8 >
9 > You can't control ownership and permissions of existing files with mount
10 > options on a Linux filesystem. See man mount.
11
12 Oops, you're right. I guess the options I was thinking of don't work
13 for ext2/3. They do work for fat, cifs, hfs, hpfs, ntfs, iso9660, and
14 various others.
15
16 I very rarely put a writable filesystem on a USB flash drive. I treat
17 them either as a CD/DVD for installation ISO images, or I use them as
18 "tapes" and just tar stuff to/from them.
19
20 I do make a point of using consistent UID/GID values across multiple
21 installations, so on the rare occasions I do put a writable filesystem
22 on a flash drive, it "just works".
25 Grant