From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] npm: ERR! cb() never called!
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:53:17
1 On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:24:39PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/09/2015 20:50, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 > > On 09/17/2015 10:03 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> Anyone here familiar with driving nodejs and npm?
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm trying to write an ebuild for a musicbrainz mirror server and "npm
7 > >> install" keeps erroring out with one of two errors:
8
9 Haha, npm. First time I ever ran npm, it required 3 runs before it
10 actually managed to fetch all the dependencies. Hopefully it's better
11 now.
14 > > 2) The right way to do it is to use an eclass and install all of the
15 > > dependencies using separate packages. As you can imagine, this is a
16 > > nightmare if you have more than a few dependencies (looks like you do).
17 >
18 > Errr, no :-)
19 >
20 > g-cpan is bad enough and those ebuilds are mostly template-able. At
21 > least CPAN modules mostly respond correctly to make && make install.
22 > That node stuff doesn't look like it will ever package sanely.
23
24 Unfortunately, the right way with nodejs/ruby web stuff is to use the
25 tooling specific to the language. If this[1] is what you're trying to
26 deploy, I feel sorry.
27
28 If I was serious about deploying this, I would:
29
30 1. Fork the repo and add a remote on my own server
31 2. Add your custom configuration
32 3. Write a small shell script that
33 1. Runs `git pull` from your own infrastructure
34 2. Installs perl/node deps locally
35 3. Runs the gulp build
36 4. Runs plackup
37 4. Add an init script that runs that start script
38
39 This sucks, but it seems to be the way a lot of web stuff is deployed
40 these days.
41
42 Hope this helps,
43