From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:10:57
1 On Monday, 28 March 2022 04:59:04 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Michael wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, 27 March 2022 22:04:45 BST Dale wrote:
4 > >> That's sort of what I'm going to do. I'm going to divide things into
5 > >> sections with some encrypted and some not.
6 > >
7 > > I wonder if all you want to do is to encrypt some directories on your
8 > > /home, then a different level of encryption would be more appropriate?
9 > > Instead of encrypting a whole block device, you could just encrypt a
10 > > directory tree or two, using ext4 encryption. e4crypt has been kicking
11 > > around for a few years now and it is meant to be an improvement on
12 > > eCryptfs.
13 > >
14 > > https://lwn.net/Articles/639427/
15 > >
16 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ext4_encryption
17 > >
18 > > WARNING: I'm not qualified to speak about this topic because my
19 > > experience is limited, but I'm interested all the same in reading your
20 > > approach and other contributors advice.
21 >
22 > That is the basic plan. I'll have /home as a normal open mount point.
23 > That way I can login without a encryption password being needed. After
24 > that, I plan to have other mount point(s) that are encrypted.
25
26 OK, that's a different plan to what I'm talking about. I am talking about
27 filesystem based encryption.
28
29 You are talking about block device level encryption. Whether these other
30 mountpoints you want to encrypt are for normal partitions, LVM, what-ever,
31 you're dealing with whole block devices and mechanisms for encrypting these
32 block devices *before* a filesystem and data is even placed on them.
33
34 With a filesystem level encryption you will be using the kernel's native
35 filesystem encryption and the fscrypt API to manage it. The sys-fs/fscrypt
36 userspace package can be used to manage the kernel based fscrypt API to
37 encrypt/decrypt some directories selectively within a filesystem. This can be
38 set up to happen transparently via PAM, using the user's login, if desired.
39
40 You can read more about the kernel fscrypt mechanism here:
41
42 https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fscrypt.html
43
44 For how to set it up and run it from userspace details are here:
45
46 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fscrypt
49 > It may be
50 > /home/dale/Data or something to that effect. I'm still doing some
51 > checking but the normal non-encrypted stuff should easily fit on a 6TB
52 > drive without encryption. I can then rebuild the two 8TB drives as
53 > encrypted mount points with a different volume group thingy. When I
54 > boot up, I can login in as usual then decrypt the other mount point and
55 > access it as needed or close it and it be encrypted until needed.
56
57 If you have 8TB of data you want encrypted, then a block level encryption
58 would make sense. However, if you only have a few MB or GB of data to encrypt
59 in a couple of directories, then it may be more appropriate to consider native
60 filesystem encryption with fscrypt.
63 > I've considered just encrypting /home completely but I don't have the
64 > option of closing it while I'm logged into KDE. KDE wouldn't be able to
65 > access /home/dale/.kde or .config plus if I leave Seamonkey open, it
66 > will want to store new emails to .mozilla as well. So, some things need
67 > to be available and I'm not to worried about them being encrypted
68 > anyway. So encrypting all of /home would be overkill plus would be a
69 > problem for some things too, such as Seamonkey and KDE.
70
71 With fscrypt you can run manually 'fscrypt lock Vault-for-Dale' and only the
72 directory 'Vault-for-Dale' with any files in it will be encrypted. All the
73 remaining fs will be left as it was.
74
75 Anyway, I'm only mentioning this as an alternative to consider, in case it fits
76 your use case better than buying more disks and whole block device encryption
77 methods.