From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fresh install on reboot endless scrolling text
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 01:05:14
1 On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Harry Putnam<reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've just completed first part of a fresh install.
3 >
4 > Mounted the new root and emerged a few things while still chrooted.
5 >
6 > It'd be difficult to list quickly since I can't boot it, but the
7 > highlights are:
8 >
9 > eix
10 > genkernel
11 > gentoolkit
12 > gentoolkit-dev
13 > gentoo-sources
14 > grub
15 > lynx
16 > ntp
17 > reiserfsprogs
18 > rsyslog
19 > vim
20 > vixie-cron
21 >
22 > And a number of dependancies pulled in from my use flags.
23 >
24 > I didn't want to start from scratch dinking around with kernel params
25 > so elected to go the `genkernel all' route, hoping that with that much
26 > junk being compiled... surely I'd get whatever I needed to start the
27 > process of building up this installation.
28 >
29 > I realize there are many who have lots of rants against genkernel but
30 > unless you think that is the core of the problem... please hold off on
31 > advice to build my own kenel.
32 >
33 > kernel = 2.6.29-r5
34 >
35 > What I see on reboot:
36 >
37 > Normal booting appears to be going along then moments after dev is
38 > mounted followed by filesystems... a massive screen full of text
39 > begins scrolling by and never stops.
40 >
41 > Impossible to read any of the text and neither pause/break or
42 > scroll/lock keys have any effect.
43 >
44 > Appears to be a continuous wrapping line repeated.
45 >
46 > But it completely kills the boot process, and no further progress is
47 > possible.
48 >
49 > I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install media.
50
51 You emerged reiserfsprogs before the machine was up and running. Does
52 this somehow imply that you are trying to boot from a Reiser partition
53 and could that be part of the problem?
54
55 Does the machine have a serial port and do you have access to a second
56 machine that you could capture and save the early boot messages? That
57 might be helpful. I know many machine now don't support that. There
58 may be ways to do something similar over the network or USB if the
59 boot gets that far.
60
61 - Mark