From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TPM feature - do I need it?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 19:06:19
1 On 29/11/14 19:53, Mick wrote:
2 > I'm looking to buy a new PC and while looking at FM2+ MoBos I saw ASUS offers
3 > one with a TPM feature. It also sells it as a separate component it seems:
4 >
5 > http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5793
6 >
7 > I recall reading in this list about it, but I am not sure if it offers any
8 > benefits to me as a user, or just adds a layer of complexity without any
9 > substantial benefit.
10 >
11 > Your views and experience with this TPM thingy?
14 one thing that is very useful is using tpm to feed random number generator
15 $ time dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null bs=1 count=100
16 100+0 records in
17 100+0 records out
18 100 bytes (100 B) copied, 26.7494 s, 0.0 kB/s
19
20 real 0m26.751s
21 user 0m0.000s
22 sys 0m0.001s
26 after starting trousers and rngd is much much much faster for real(er)
27 random
28
29 $ time dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null bs=1 count=100
30 100+0 records in
31 100+0 records out
32 100 bytes (100 B) copied, 0.000275625 s, 363 kB/s
33
34 real 0m0.001s
35 user 0m0.002s
36 sys 0m0.000s
43 it's also a safer place to drop keys into for example for use with grub
44 trustedgrub and basically does "secureboot" without the need for uefi
45 you can also use it to encrypt/decrypt *if* you trust it is not backdoored
46 but does mean you can use it for LUKS instead of say a GPG crypted pass
47 file - or you can have the tpm crypt your password into gibberish and
48 then that gibberish phrase is the real password for LUKS