From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD recorder recommendations
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:58:40
1 On 8/21/05, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 August 2005 16:35, Thomas Kirchner wrote:
3 > > * On Aug 21 15:37, Volker Armin Hemmann (gentoo-user@l.g.o)
4 > wrote:
5 > > > it has to, because all tests I read said, that Plextor burns a lot of
6 > > > errors onto the dvds... so they have to have a good error-correction,
7 > > > or they would not be able to read their own stuff.
8 > >
9 > > Not sure I buy that. I've used my Plextor-burned discs in plenty of
10 > > other computers and they haven't had any trouble reading them, either.
11 > > They didn't earn their reputation for quality by making coasters.
12 > > Tom
13 >
14 > I do not own a plextor, but I trust the c't magazine which did a lot of
15 > dvd-burner tests and Plextor is one of the burners which like to write fast,
16 > but with a lot of errors.
17 >
18 > Only because the dvdr does not make problems now, it does not mean, that it
19 > will not make problems in the future, when some scratches are accumulated.
20 >
21 > But... LG was much worse.. ;)
22
23 Hmmm. While warnings about particular brands might be of some help, I would
24 much prefer to see the make/model of comparably priced items that were rated
25 good. I'm trying to buy, after all, not discard existing stuff.
26
27 Nevertheless, this is helpful (I think) because I was starting to lean towards a
28 Plextor PX-740A-BP OEM drive. Now I'll wait to see what others say.
31 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list