From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:13:39
1 · Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@×××××.net>:
2
3 > Mick wrote:
4 >> I saw this: # dns_domain_eth0="your.domain" in the /etc/conf.d/net.example and
5 >> added: dns_domain="STUDY"
6 >>
7 >> but still .none comes up:
8 >>
9 >> # domainname
10 >> (none)
13 > Indeed ... it is NOT set to work properly for the way a majority of
14 > software uses it .... by calling "domainname".
15
16 Well... But what Mick showed was the expected behaviour. He
17 has NOT set a domainname - at least not the domainname that
18 the "domainname" command would return.
19
20 domainname --help clearly shows, what domainname will return:
21 The *NIS* domainname. This always used to be the case and
22 hopefully always will be the case.
23
24 With dns_domain, the DNS domainname is set. And that's returned
25 by dnsdomainname (or hostname -d).
26
27 Alexander Skwar
28 --
29 Linux: Where Don't We Want To Go Today?
30 -- Submitted by Pancrazio De Mauro, paraphrasing some well-known sales talk
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list