From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] start-stop-daemon sets USER=root - expected behaviour?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 19:09:11
1 Erik Hahn schrieb am 06.10.2008 20:21:
2 > On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:27:11PM +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
3 >> 2008/10/6 Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@×××.de>:
4 >>> No, it simply shouldn't change them, there's no reason to do that (to my
5 >>> knowledge).
6 >> I think it is a big security issue if a normal user could start
7 >> arbitrary daemons with root privileges. So you should file a bug at
8 >
9 > It doesn't give anyone root privileges, it only sets wrong variables.
10 >
11 >> I think only root should be able to execute start-stop-daemon and the
12 >> user should be changed with the proper command line switches. I
13 >> actually don't know if it is --chuid or --user as this has changed
14 >> between old baselayout and new openrc.
15 >
16 > Why's that? Running a program with user privileges is no security
17 > problem at all.
18
19 I got the intention the program is started with root privileges when
20 using start-stop-daemon.
21
22 Nevertheless I can reproduce your problem with the wrong variables. I
23 think it should set the variables appropriate for the user running
24 start-stop-daemon. So you should file a bug report about that.
25
26 Regards,
27
28 Daniel