From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:52:08
1 On 12/18/2018 10:42 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > I know others have commented on the reliability of recovering data from drives
3 > connected via USB caddy, but I have had satisfactory results on a number of
4 > cases.
5
6 I think it completely depends on the type of problem. In my experience,
7 SATA-to-USB adapters don't deal well with physical hard drive / media
8 errors. (At least compared to SATA connections on the motherboard.) I
9 think their retry mechanisms are somewhat limited. Conversely, software
10 / file system / logical corruption issues are likely perfectly fine over
11 USB.
12
13 > I cloned the whole drive having run ddrescue backwards and forwards a couple
14 > of times. c/f/gdisk would see all partitions, but when I tried to mount the
15 > cloned /dev/sdb4 (NTFS) with ntfs-3g it complained there was no device found
16 > (/dev/sdb4). I got the same error with the failing drive.
17
18 Seeing the partitions in the partition table is independent of the
19 device file being there. - Did the device file exist? - I
20 occasionally have to run (k)part(x) to tell the kernel that the
21 partition is there and to create the device file.
22
23 > So, I used losetup with --offset on the failing drive itself over USB 2.0 and
24 > was able to mount and recover all the NTFS files.
25
26 That sounds like the kernel didn't know about the partition and / or the
27 device file didn't exist. losetup will create a new device file (and
28 possibly partitions depending on how you did it). Then you will be able
29 to point standard FS tools at the new device (partition) file.
30
31 > Over the years I've used clonezilla, ddrescue, testdisk, photorec and losetup
32 > to recover files. On a couple of times where data on the disk had been
33 > overwritten by subsequent operations, I was not able to recover the affected
34 > files. So, if when moving the partition data was overwritten I suspect it
35 > will be very difficult to recover this with conventional software tools.
36
37 I would expect moving a partition to an earlier location on the drive
38 will take the first block and move it to the new location, then the next
39 block, etc. until finished. I'd expect moving a partition to a later
40 location on the drive will take the last block and move it to the next
41 location, then the previous block, etc. until finished. This way the
42 data is never actually overwritten. Blocks have been moved, and
43 committed to disk, thus vacating the old block.
44
45 > However, it doesn't hurt to try. :-)
46
47 I mostly agree. You need to be mindful of physical damage and thermals.
52 Grant. . . .
53 unix || die