From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:12:11
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:20:23 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Question. Does that mean that the heads can't move past that point? If
5 >> yes, does that mean the OP can't get any data that is further out than
6 >> that point? I'm asking hoping I will learn something. I have taken
7 >> drives apart so I know how the arm moves the heads across the platter.
8 >> If I get what you are saying, it's like the heads get to a certain
9 >> point, about 10%, and then stop.
10 > I don't think so, as I've seen this sort of thing on a drive but still
11 > been able to access ~all my data. It seems that the SMART tests are a
12 > little stupid in this respect and give up when they decide a drive is
13 > broken, as opposed to failing.
18 So, it isn't likely a mechanical failure but *maybe* some sort of
19 firmware/software/or other type of failure? Interesting. The reason I
20 was asking is because it seems the OP is using the drive, even booting
21 from it I think, which makes me think it is still able to access the
22 data but yet the SMART test can't get to the same area. It was a bit
23 confusing since it wasn't "logical". One type of access is working
24 while another isn't. Odd. I realize that short of some techy person
25 taking the drive apart, we won't likely really know why it failed the
26 test but just curious as to what options were there as to the failure.
27
28 Well, run into something interesting everyday. I hope the OP can get
29 his data off there before this gets worse. I guess if nothing else,
30 SMART showed that something isn't right, is likely failing and needs
31 attention. If SMART is correct. ;-)
32
33 Dale
34