From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Retro ...
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 03:57:16
1 Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> [16-02-17 20:52]:
2 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:29 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> [16-02-17 20:24]:
4 > >> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >> > Hi,
6 > >> >
7 > >> > curious about how that had felt in ancient times, when hardware
8 > >> > and software were limited, I tried 'ed' - the one and only
9 > >> > editor ;)
10 > >> >
11 > >> > One feature I cant figure out (and the reason for that may be, that it
12 > >> > is not there... :) is:
13 > >> >
14 > >> > One has to specify the line, which s/he wants to edit. This is
15 > >> > possible via regexp (which matches more than one line and may be
16 > >> > not, what you want) and via line numbers.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > In case one wants to use line numbers:
19 > >> > One can list the whole text to the console...but the line numbers
20 > >> > are missing.
21 > >> > The "visual version of ed" called 'vi' is able to preceed any line
22 > >> > with a line number.
23 > >> >
24 > >> > Is this possible with ed?
25 > >> > How does one know the number of a specific line?
26 > >> >
27 > >> > Or do I miss something very fundamental here ???
28 > >> >
29 > >> > Thanks for any help in advance!
30 > >> > Best regards,
31 > >> > Meino
32 > >> >
33 > >> >
34 > >> >
35 > >>
36 > >> You may find this manual, https://9p.io/7thEdMan/v7vol2a.pdf, for
37 > >> research UNIX 7th edition of interest.
38 > >> Amongst other things, it has a section called 'A Tutorial Introduction
39 > >> to the UNIX Text Editor' written by Brian W. Kernighan of Bell Labs at
40 > >> the time. You may then find a section called 'Advanced Editing on
41 > >> UNIX' of further interest.
42 > >>
43 > >
44 > > Hi Alexander,
45 > >
46 > > THANKS A LOT! 8)
47 > > That seems to be the "definitive guide to ed" because Brian Kernigham
48 > > is the author...
49 > > Looks like you linked me the "Programing C" by Dennis Ritchie - but
50 > > for the ed and by Brian Kerningham. ;)
51 > > Best!
52 > >
53 > > Best regards,
54 > > Meino
55 > >
56 > > PS: Do you know TUHS??? ;)
59 > You're welcome. I find the Bell Labs manuals and papers of top
60 > technical quality.
61 > No, I haven't heard of The Unix Heritage Society before. Thanks for
62 > pointing it out.
65 Hi Alexander,
66
67 :) If you are interested in the TUHS then this may be interesting too:
68 http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
69 :)
70 (The needed UNIX-tapes are all archived by the TUHS and the majority of
71 them are free for private use)
72
73 On the mailing list of the tuhs you will find often links to very
74 interesting docs. May be g/re/p-ping through archived posting of
75 the newer past will reveal more interesting docs.
76 One teaser:
77 http://wiki.tuhs.org/doku.php?id=publications:quarter_century_of_unix
78
79 Have a lot of fun!