From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to get /dev/cdrom
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:15:23
1 Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On 1/12/2011 11:31 AM, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
4 >> Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> OK, for several years I have not had a /dev/cdrom. My workstation has
7 >>> an internal cd-rom drive, which gets mapped to /dev/hda, and an external
8 >>
9 >> If you're using a recent kernel, it's probably udev which refuses to
10 >> process devices under the old ATA driver.
11 >>
12 >> (I don't know if it *exactly* refuses, or if it's something else, but
13 >> the final result is what you see, no /dev/{cdrom,cdrw,...} link)
14 >
15 > The problem, as far as I could figure out, is that the ID_PATH that udev
16 > gets from the old ATA drivers is identical for everything on the same
17 > IDE controller; it basically gives the path to the PCI bus slot where
18 > the IDE controller is connected. So udev has no way to differentiate
19 > between multiple drives connected to a single controller. This is a
20 > change at some point from the previous behavior, which specified the IDE
21 > information as well.
22
23 So is this supposed to be a problem only if there is more than one PATA
24 device?
25
26 I never investigated this deeply enough, thanks for your explanation. I
27 ended up adding code to init scripts to create the links.
30 > You used to get something like:
31 >
32 > ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-0:0"
33 >
34 > and now you get:
35 >
36 > ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1"
37 >
38 > Switching over to libata gives you:
39 >
40 > ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-0:0:0:0"
41 >
42 > which returns everything to working order :)
43
44 I guess this means that if one gets some other way to match a drive (by
45 name? serial number?), it's possible to make a working rule.
48 > --Mike
53 Nuno J. Silva
54 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg