From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The SIMPLEST web server to config (this time - just for serving video files) ?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:21:47
1 On Nov 14, 2011 6:01 AM, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 19:45:38 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 > > Wow! That certainly qualifies for the simple part! The trick seemed to
6 > > be to cd to the video directory before running python, but once I did
7 > > that I am able to get video.
8 > >
9 > > One 'problem' if you will is the video isn't streaming but rather the
10 > > whole file is being copied and then xine is being run. That leads to
11 > > no disk space over time.
12 >
13 > It is not streaming, because you are not running a streaming server and
14 in all
15 > likelihood the video file is not in 'streaming' media format. Therefore
16 when
17 > you click on the link the ipod downloads a complete file.
20 Actually, if the server supports the byte-range option (i.e., ability to do
21 random access 'seek') AND the server returns the proper Content-Type
22 header, then the server can stream.
23
24 > > Is this a function of Firefox being set up to use xine as opposed to
25 > > some other app or plugin? I'd really like to understand a little more
26 > > about getting it to stream instead of copy, if possible.
27 >
28 > You can have a true streaming server (MMS, RTP, RTSP) or you can have a
29 > webserver (HTTP) which serves streaming media format files.
30 >
31 > Have you tried setting up vlc as a streaming server on your PC? It will
32 also
33 > transcode files into streaming media.
36 That will make the server neither light nor simple, though :-)
37
38 > Alternatively, use a device with a large enough storage on it to be able
40 > save the whole of the downloaded file.
43 > > The other thing I just tested was accessing the server using my wife's
44 > > iPod Touch. It can browse to the video files but then Quicktime
45 > > doesn't play them. Back in the python terminal I see a lot of message
46 > > like this:
47 > >
48 > > ----------------------------------------
49 > > 192.168.1.243 - - [13/Nov/2011 11:44:26] "GET /H/Howard%27s%20End.m4v
50 > > HTTP/1.1" 200 -
51 > > ----------------------------------------
52 > > Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.243',
53 > > 49450) Traceback (most recent call last):
54
55 ----- >8 snip -----
58 > > None the less it's an interesting start. Thanks!!
59 >
60 > I'm pretty much clueless in python so can't interpret the messages -
61 hopefully
62 > someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
65 Neither am I, but it seems SimpleHTTPServer is too simple.
66
67 Rgds,