From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OSS4
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 15:14:14
1 On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Alexandru N. Barloiu <axl@××××.ro> wrote:
4 > > 3)? Wrong?
5 >
6 > It was gpl. Then they moved it to proprietary. Then they become
7 > insignificant and changed it back. For me, that's sign enough that I
8 > don't want anything to do with it.
11 OK, I understand...
12 >
13 > > > why would you?
14 > >
15 > > desperation? ALSA is 22 years old, and they couldn't find the time
17 > > write documentation. It will not happen. When it works, it works. It
18
19 > It might have been invented 22 years ago, but that doesn't mean that it
20 > didn't change/improve over that time.
21
22 I agree, but I was talking about the documentation, not about the
23 quality of the software.
24 Check the main documentation site https://alsa-project.org/wiki/Documentation
25 The first section contains 4 items, the second of which is just a
26 title (no link) and the 3rd is a dead link... ( actually, not dead,
27 but leading to nothing; and it says "Linux Audio Users Guide", a name
28 suggesting its contents are relevant)
31 > What do you mean "no joy with micro"? Maybe it could be easier to fix
32 > this than use OSS.
33 >
34 I mean I can't record sound (or I can't play it). Probably because I
35 don't know what I'm doing (see above, Documentation). I have a micro
36 which connects to an interface via a XLR cable (it works; I can hear
37 sound through headphones connected with the direct monitor output in
38 the interface); the interface gets power from the computer via USB
39 (works); the RCA output of the interface connects to the LineIn entry
40 in the card. Trying to record with arecord produces a file that yields
41 noise or silence with aplay. I tried changing stuff in alsamixer...
42
43 https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B01C05AL4C/ref=sr_1_5dchild=1&keywords=mikrofon%2Bxlr&qid=1585927073&sr=8-5&th=1
44
45 https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B00EK1OTZC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1
46
47 The reasons I asked about OSS4 and not the details about my problem
48 are: (i) I like to understand what I'm doing (big picture & details)
49 and (ii) I don't want to be a support vampire
50
51 But maybe OSS4 would be no solution at all. However, it seems that
52 even trying is not an option...
53
54 Thanks
55