From: Drew <drew.kay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot to gentoo amd64
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:01:38
1 On 9/20/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 September 2006 05:06, Drew wrote:
3 > > > You need a 64 bit kernel with CONFIG_IA32_EMUL enabled.
4 > >
5 > > Uh no. A 32bit chroot can be run on a 64bit kernel with IA32_EMUL
6 > > enabled however a 64bit chroot can *NOT* be run from a 32bit kernel.
7 >
8 > Err..., which differs from what I stated exactly how??
9
10 ------------------------
11 "how can i chroot to gentoo amd64 from 32 bit Linux ??"
12 ------------------------
13
14 It sounds like he wants to chroot into an 64bit environment from an
15 existing 32bit environment. You can't execute 64bit code inside a
16 32bit chroot because the underlying kernel is still 32bit, and hence
17 can't understand the 64bit code.
18
19 Short of building a 64bit kernel (your suggestion) there's no way to
20 execute 64bit code from inside a 32bit system. And if he's going to go
21 to the trouble of building a 64bit kernel just for this chroot
22 (assuming his hardware supports 64bit which I am assuming it does), he
23 might as well migrate fully from the 32bit kernel he has and take full
24 advantage of a 64bit one.
27 -Drew
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list