From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11-7.0 upgrade question
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:14:52
1 Hi,
2 I have some MythTV frontend machines that have been happily running
3 for about 15 months using what is now a pretty old kernel and
4 ati-drivers package. I am having trouble updating these machines since
5 neither the kernel or the ati-drivers ebuilds are available in portage
6 any more and, unfortunately, nothing that is in portage seems to boot
7 and work correctly.
8
9 I wanted to know if I leave the kernel and ati-driver package alone
10 but upgrade to xorg-x11-7.0 will it work? Does xorg-x11-7+ force any
11 specific kernel requirement?
12
13 I've already found that the one ati-driver that does work doesn't
14 seem to like any of the kernels in portage that I've tried.
15
16 Please note that the issue here is that I need these Pundit-R
17 machines to use the S-Video outputs and not the normal VGA output. If
18 anyone else out there is using Pundit-R's with newer kernels and
19 drivers I'd love to know about it. I don't care one way or the other
20 about ati-drivers vs. xorg drivers. It matters not to me.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Mark
24 --