From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:14:45
1 On Friday 19 November 2010 19:19:34 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:00:04 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
3 >
4 > [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels:
5 > >On Friday 19 November 2010 14:42:23 Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:52:50 +0000, Mick wrote:
7 > >> > Also primary partitions which he does not seem to be using at all
8 > >> > have a slight edge over logical.
9 > >>
10 > >> Do you have any data on this? I generally use all logical partitions
11 > >> but could be persuaded to rethink.
12 > >
13 > >Well there must be one level of indirection on first access, since the
14 > >start of the logical partition has to be looked up in a "primary"
15 > >partition, but I can't imagine that being needed more than once per
16 > >reboot.
17 >
18 > Correct.
19 >
20 > The same applies to LVM2 or EVMS logical volumes: a small "lookup"
21 > penalty (a few milliseconds) when the filesystem is first
22 > activated/mounted, and as fast as the drive itself thereafter.
23
24 Short of measuring the latency with some system (which I wouldn't know how) I
25 have experimented with setting the /boot partition on primary and logical
26 partitions and the difference (on a stopwatch) was measurable in seconds
27 betweeen having said partition on a primary and having it on a logical.
28 Furthermore, sda7 was slower than sda5.
29
30 I haven't measured latencies for first mount and subsequent look ups. I
31 thought that it would be the same every time a partition fs is being accessed,
32 no?
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick