From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:26:04
1 I ran 'fsck -t ext3 /dev/hda3' and it detected and corrected a bunch
2 of stuff. After that, /bin/bash was missing so I copied it from a
3 LiveCD and now it's behaving exactly as it was before I ran fsck.
4
5 Do you know of any way to try and bring the hard drive in its current
6 form back to full usability? Is emerge -e world possibly worth a try?
7
8 If I can't bring the drive back to life as it is now, it sounds like I
9 should use tar, split, and cdrecord to save /home/grant/, build a new
10 system either on the same drive or a new one, and copy in
11 /home/grant/.
12
13 Does anyone know of a way to find out if the hard drive is usable
14 without just installing a new system on it and seeing if it works? I
15 can't find any information on the Fujitsu site.
16
17 - Grant
18