From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with raid1: error while booting
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:28:46
1 Mike Williams wrote:
2
3 >On Wednesday 13 July 2005 15:09, Jarry wrote:
6 >>It seems (or at least it is discussed there) that this (udev does not
7 >>create /dev/md* at startup) is some kernel-bug! If some of our kernel
8 >>developers is watching this list, could he confirm or refuse it?
9 >>Can I somehow get rid of udev, when it is causing problems to me?
13 >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/29788
18 Just to expand a bit on the linked thread:
19
20 Gentoo now has support for creating the device nodes at boot time, in
21 the stable baselayout, which should be 1.11.12-r4 at this point.
22
23 To enable it, you need:
24
25 1. A proper /etc/raidtab or /etc/mdadm.conf (mdadm.conf preferred)
26 2. The mdadm tools emerged.
27 3. Add "md" to RC_VOLUME_ORDER in /etc/conf.d/rc.
28
29 The above should trigger then execution of
30 /lib/rcscripts/addons/raid-start.sh during startup which will create the
31 device nodes for you.
32
33 I did not know any of this before I posted regarding the RAID device
34 nodes in the linked thread...
35
36 -Richard
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list