From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:22:32
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 31/07/2013 19:56, Stroller wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 31 July 2013, at 18:23, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> Whinging about systemd binaries being installed is valid, but whinging
7 >>> about some data files is not. Anyone who does is letting their OCD show
8 >>> in ways they really should be keeping private.
9 >>
10 >> Hmmmn, it's a bit freaking weird - if I'm understanding correctly some of the statements made here about systemd - that there will be files installed to /etc/init.d/ that don't actually do anything.
11 >>
12 >> Stroller.
16 > You are understanding it wrong. The scene being worked towards is:
17 >
18 > ebuilds for services will install openrc scripts in /etc/init.d
19 > ebuilds for services will install unit files somewhere else.
20 > Only one of those sets of teeny weeny files can be used at a time, the
21 > set in user depends on the service manager.
22 >
23 > There's an idea floating around that openrc could use systemd unit files
24 > but it's still just an idea. If it becomes more than an idea, the files
25 > in /etc/init.d may or may not be dispensed with. Either way it doesn't
26 > matter. Unit files are unlikely to number more than 100 total, and are
27 > likely to be smaller than 1 fs allocation unit in size.
28
29 160 files in my laptop, using 652K, 122 files in a LAMP server, using 492K.
30
31 > bash's man page is considerably larger than all that all by itself.
32
33 bash's man page is 62K in my laptop (compressed with bzip2), 277K uncompressed.
34
35 So, not quite exactly like you say, but the point remains true. The
36 man pages in my laptop use more than 20 times the space used in
37 /usr/lib/systemd (and that includes binaries like systemd itself and
38 systemd-udev).
39
40 acero ~ # du -sh /usr/share/man
41 82M /usr/share/man
42 acero ~ # du -sh /usr/lib/systemd/
43 3.6M /usr/lib/systemd/
44
45 And /usr/share/doc is 2.5G in my laptop.
46
47 Regards.
48 --
49 Canek Peláez Valdés