From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommend me a good PCMCIA wireless network card
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:18:35
1 On Jul 24, 2005, at 2:54 AM, Greg Bur wrote:
2
3 > On 7/23/05, Ian K <omega_2_1@×××××.ca> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi there,
6 >> I have an older laptop that I want to add to my network,
7 >> (its a 802.11B one) and I was wondering what brands/models
8 >> would work the best under Linux. Im fairly flexible, and would
9 >> really not like to tinker with too many drivers. Any good ideas?
10 >> Thanks!
13 > I've always had good luck with cards that use the Orinoco chipset and
14 > the only time I've had to tinder with drivers was when I wanted to get
15 > Kismet working with the card. You should be able to pick one up for
16 > under $50. Check out http://www.proxim.com or
17 > http://www.buffalotech.com for more details.
18
19 Just remember, if the laptop isn't going too far, a good length of Ye
20 Olde Cat5e is a much cheaper solution. That being said...
23 Yeah, I picked up a great Orinoco (branded as Enterasys) at
24 Rokland.com last month for roughly $50. Atheros chipset, 802.11a/
25 SuperA/b/b+/g/SuperG... very nice. It works in Windows (with the
26 driver CD), Mac OS X (with the shareware OrangeWare driver--totally
27 worth the $15 shareware fee) and, naturally, Linux (with MADWIFI).
28 It picks up Channels 1 through 14, and can put out up to 100 mW of
29 power (40 mW on A networks).
30
31 There's no antenna jack, though, but I hear most PCMCIA Orinocoes can
32 be modded to include some kind of external jack; I'm not that
33 desperate for power, but with dial-up at home, I might do that mod
34 and build a yagi antenna, get in my car, and... well, you get the
35 idea. :-)
36
37 Still haven't had any luck with KisMAC (the OS X port of Kismet),
38 though. It finds my card but doesn't detect my wireless network...
39 I'll figure it out eventually.
40 --
41 Colin
42 --