From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] non-sudo way for user to run shutdown -h now? (or any equivalent)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:50:38
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 > I'm trying to get my mythfrontend box to allow a user to shut the
5 >machine down without the use of a keyboard. We are only using remote
6 >controls. suso doesn't seem to be an option because it requires a
7 >password. (AFAICT)
8 >
9 > Is there some other way that I could make this work?
16 1. Sudo can be setup to allow some commands to be run without a
17 password. I think this entry in /etc/sudoers should work:
18
19 mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown
20
21 I have not tested this, so if something goes wrong, you'll have to try
22 and figure out "man sudoers".
23
24 2. Create a setuid (chmod 4711 /sbin/shutdown_by_anyone.sh) shell script
25 that runs shutdown. Be sure to export the PATH, and unset LD_PRELOAD
26 and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables at the very beginning of the script. Also
27 make sure the interpreter line is "/bin/bash --". This doesn't fix all
28 of the security holes with setuid shell scripts, just the most common
29 and easiest to fix...
30
31 -Richard
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list