From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pair Programming & Non-Routable IP Address
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:10:50
1 Hilco Wijbenga writes:
2
3 > I would like to do remote pair programming with somebody on a
4 > non-Linux box. It seems that NoMachine NX or TightVNC would allow me
5 > to do so. Great.
6
7 I prefer NX over VNC because of its efficiency, and because it is more
8 intelligent, but I think it has no mode to let two people access the
9 same session at once. So I (being remote) tried starting a session with
10 NX, running KDE, which has a VNC feature, so the other person (with the
11 session runnin in his fast LAN) could attach via VNC. But tit did not
12 work well due some color bug.
13
14 > My problem is that I don't have a routable IP address. My ISP gives me
15 > a 192.x.x.x IP which is sort of nice because the bad guys can't see me
16 > ... but neither can the good guys. :-) (On top of that I have my own
17 > network with NAT set up so I can share my Internet connection among my
18 > various machines.)
19 >
20 > I do have root access to a (Debian) server with a static IP with a
21 > hosting company. So now I'm wondering if I can somehow take advantage
22 > of that static IP address. How would I do that? What would I need to
23 > set up on that server to allow my partner to reach my box?
24
25 Setting a forward route with iptables would be the standard idea I'd
26 think. But I'd probably just set up an SSH tunnel, like this:
27
28 ssh -R :5900:localhost:5900 debian-server
29
30 So when someone connects to port 5900 on the debian server, the traffic
31 is forwarded to port 5900 on your machine, which would run the VNC
32 session. If the session should run on the non-linux guy's PC, he should
33 start the tunnel using putty or something. See the ssh man page and the
34 -R option.
35
36 Wonko