From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: advice on transitioning from package.use file to package.use directory
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 13:38:51
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >> And it was also because of a cross-compiler. When I looked at how much
5 >> extra work this type fragmentation causes, and how little (or any!)
6 >> advantage it gives makes one wonder about the designers sanity ...
7
8 I've run across this several times already. For now I have avoided the
9 dir expansion, as I find one (larger) file easier to parse. Often I less the
10 one file to see what is in there and delete things manually.
11 It would seem like when you delete (-C) a package it would check all of
12 /etc/portage for entries to remove, but I do not think that happens.
13 Still, now that we're all moving to git everywhere (on your system)
14 I suspect having separate files is better/easier for those devs and hackers
15 amongst us.
18 > What ought to have happened, and the convention had long existed when
19 > this scheme for portage was thought up, is to call the directory
20 > /etc/portage/package.mask.d/
21 > then you could easily have a main file and as many subsidiary files as
22 > you need/want. Just like how every other package seems to do it.
23
24 Yep. Brilliant and simple.
25
26 File a bug:: feature request.
27
28 Why not make the request. We already support /etc/make.conf and
29 /etc/portage/make.conf so masking can occur in (2) dirs to ease the
30 migration to a more sensible nomenclature and tree structure....
31
32 James