From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback is back again!
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 17:12:22
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 Yes, console soft scrolling is back! That essential feature that was
4 stripped out of the kernel at around 5.4.x has returned!
5
6 Only this time, it's even better! Instead of one scrollback buffer
7 shared between all tty's, there's now a buffer for each tty.
8
9 How to get it working:
10 (i) Extract the enclosed patch file to your /usr/src/linux-5.10.27-gentoo
11 directory (or probably any 5.10 kernel's).
12 (ii) From that directory run $ patch -p0 < diff.20210405.diff.
13 (iii)(a) If you've already got a working 5.10.27, do a $ make oldconfig.
14 That should bring up the new configuration items, for which you can
15 accept the defaults. These two items are a flag to enable the
16 scrollback, and a buffer size defaulting to 128kB.
17 (iii)(b) If you haven't yet got a 5.10.27, just configure your kernel in
18 the usual way. The two new items are under Device Drivers/Graphics
19 support/Console display driver support.
20 (iv) Build the kernel.
21 (v) Put the new kernel into your usual boot manager.
22 (vi) Reboot and enjoy!
23
24 Admittedly, the exercise isn't quite finished - the patched source files
25 still have my personal change markings in them, to make debugging easier.
26 But the problems I reported here a few days ago are now solved. One or
27 two features haven't (yet) been implemented - having a single scroll
28 buffer shared amongst all tty's isn't there, and there're no kernel
29 command line parameters to control the feature.
30
31 Also, you may wonder about how safe the patch is. All I can say is that
32 there is nothing malicious in it, and I am known on this list, but of
33 course if it breaks I won't be to blame.
34
35 Bug reports and other comments are welcome, of course.
36
37 If anybody would like the corresponding patch which works on 5.4.n, for n
38 >= 80, that is available, too.
41 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

diff.20210405.diff text/plain