From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 04:29:01
1 On 7/7/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 7/7/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Scripts are great, but they aren't for whole applications. Yes, that
4 > > would be a quotable.
5 >
6 > I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that most of portage
7 > is actually implemented in python. The actual merge process is shell
8 > script, but things like dependency resolution and so forth should be
9 > all python.
10
11 I don't speak much python.
12
13 > And python is actually pretty quick. Not nearly as fast as C, but
14 > easily fast enough for this kind of work. I think you would find the
15 > biggest gains would be from using more efficient algorithms and data
16 > storage, rather than re-implementing parts in another language.
17
18 Yeah, you're most likely right.
19
20 > -Richard
21 > --
22 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
29 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
30 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
31 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
32 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
33 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list