From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Anyone got a 2009 - 2011 PPC LiveCD?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 06:11:39
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I'm going to keep this short right now, but there's a problem with the current (20120909) PPC liveCDs [1].
4
5 I installed using Finnix instead (release 107, latest, Dec 2012), managing to make partitions, unpack the tarball and compile a kernel, but I seem to be running into a Yaboot problem.
6
7 On the mirrors is a Gentoo 2008.0 PPC liveCD, but it doesn't support Ext4, so my rootfs is unrecognised.
8
9 I've tried the Ubuntu 10.04 alternative PPC install CD, as that was described on Ubuntu's site as being for "special" installs. However it gives a blue curses installer, rather than a bash prompt - when I found a way to exit that, I just get a really primitive Ash / Busybox environment, and I can't fire up Yaboot.
10
11 So from this list [2]: T2@Live doesn't have a full environment, either; I can't find the GNUstep LiveCD (seems to be discontinued on PPC; Rock is the predecessor to T2@Live and the link doesn't work. Finally the "MiB" PPC Knoppix is too old for Ext4.
12
13 Of the list on this page [3]: I've tried Ubuntu, both the others (Fedora & Suse/Novell) seem to be discontinued on PPC.
14
15 I would like to try a Gentoo PPC install CD from between 2010 and the first half of 2012. Mid or late 2011 would probably be most ideal, better to be sure that it was built before the occurrence of the bugs mentioned in [1].
16
17 The devs seem aware of these [1] bugs, but appear to have left a nonfunctional Gentoo minimal installer CD (the one built 20120909) on the mirrors, anyway.
18
19 I would prefer to try a c 2011 Gentoo LiveCD before I reapproach the problem I'm having with Finnix.
20
21 Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,
22
23 Stroller.
26 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7223326.html
27 [2] http://livecdlist.com/architecture/ppc