From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:59:37
1 * Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [110725 15:33]:
2 > Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [110725 14:43]:
4 > >
5 > >> Todd Goodman wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>> Dale (and whoever else was having problems with Firefox and X hangs,)
8 > >>>
9 > >>> I don't know if you've seen it but:
10 > >>>
11 > >>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/24/54
12 > >>>
13 > >>> looks like a thread that might be applicable?
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Todd
16 > >>>
17 > >>>
18 > >>>
19 > >>>
20 > >> That does look interesting. I had a few times where mine would just
21 > >> hang and I could use the SysReq keys but most of the time it just plain
22 > >> paniced.
23 > >>
24 > > Yes, I remember that. But depending on your kernel config you could be
25 > > getting a "panic" based on settings (I believe.)
29 > That is true. I think .39 was the one that always paniced. It seems
30 > the later .38 wold sometimes give me a change to use the SysReq keys.
31 > It' shard to recall now. :/
32
33 Yes, I like to keep notes of what I've tried, but hindsight is 20-20
36 > >> I'm not subscribed so if you see something interesting, let me know. I
37 > >> wish I could let them know it also causes kernel panics as well. I
38 > >> suspect tho that whatever fix they come up with, it will fix it all. I
39 > >> may go back to a older kernel too. lol That may work for a temp fix
40 > >> anyway.
41 > >>
42 > > I'll let you know if I see anything that looks related. It would be
43 > > interesting if going back to 2.6.38 is a temp fix for you. I know you'd
44 > > tried older kernels before but...
45 > >
46 > > As someone else mentioned, you can certainly report it. However, it
47 > > would be very helpful if you can get the panic information. I know it's
48 > > difficult with X hanging and needing X to reproduce the problem but
49 > > SSHing to the machine and/or a netconsole might allow something to be
50 > > seen. And the panic information would likely be quite illuminating.
54 > I'm not subscribed there and that is a very high traffic list. I did
55 > take a look at the option of subscribing tho. I also tried to ssh into
56 > my rig from my old rig, it refused. It couldn't even find my box. It
57 > worked fine after I rebooted tho.
58
59 Yes it is very high traffic.
60
61 You don't need to subscribe to post though and it's quite common to
62 mention at the end that you're not subscribed and request direct email
65 As far as ssh'ing in, I'd suggest doing it before the problem manifests
66 and trying to get console output on your screen.
70 > >> Thanks very much for the link. At least it is not just me and they know
71 > >> about it now.
72 > >>
73 > > Yes, though hearing from more than one person with the issue might help
74 > > get it solved quicker. There may be similarities between your machines
75 > > that point he finger at a certain area...
76 > >
77 > > Todd
80 > >> Dale
81 > >>
82 > >> :-) :-)
83 > >>
84 >
85 > Yea, having more info would be helpful but it appears that more than I
86 > have has already been given. I may see if I can email someone directly
87 > or something. Maybe that will work, if I don't go to spam or something.
88
89 I'd suggest emailing the list. Emailing someone directly before that
90 might be considered quite rude.
93 > Is this related to a specific nic driver? I wasn't able to really tell
94 > much from all the error messages they posted. I still haven't tried a
95 > different nic. I sort of been busy.
96
97 No, there were a lot of IRQ changes. It could impact pretty much any
98 driver though perhaps it's due to an incorrect assumption in a specific
99 driver that no longer holds after the IRQ rework.
100
101 Todd
104 > Dale
105 >