From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 04:49:01
1 Am 13.06.2013 14:31, schrieb Nick Khamis:
2 > Hello Norman,
3 >
4 > Thank you so much for your response, and that is an interesting setup.
5 >
6 >>> we open up pools of up to 20 hosts which all mount the same NFS
7 >>> share which holds sparse file images as virtual hdds of the
8 >>> VM.
9 >
10 > How are these sprase file images initially built for each VM's virtual hdd? And
11 > can this process be automated.
12
13 There are many ways, in our case virt-install creates them automaticaly.
14 But you could just dd a file from /dev/zero or random. It is a raw
15 sparse file. There is no internal logic behind it.
16 Of cause this process can be fully automated.
17 We automated the complete installation process, which takes one command
18 now to install and deploy a completely from scratch installed VM in
19 about 8 to 11 Minutes.
22 >>> So life migration is possible, other than holding the VMs on local
23 >>> storage.
24 >
25 > I can understand that.
26 >
27 >>> Our never clusters are equipped with hosts using 10 gigabit ethernet.
28 >>> Two 10GE ports are bonded to provide redundancy and balancing. Every
29 >>> host features 2 bonds, one for storage vlans and one for the production
30 >>> vlans. Performance is not the issue.
31 >
32 > Good network engineering.
33 >
34 > I guess also with this setup replication would be handled by rsync? If so, the
35 > potential of this setup really starts to shine.
36
37 What do you mean by replication?
41 > WOW, from NAS to SAN?
44 > Kind Regards,