From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linode discontinuing Xen, migrating to KVM
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 00:09:55
1 On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 10/2/2017, 11:52:21 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> As long as your kernel has the appropriate drivers (i.e. you didn't
4 >> include only the virtualized Xen drivers and left most of the default
5 >> options intact) it should boot under QEMU/KVM or even on a bare metal
6 >> system.
7 >
8 > Hmmm, something else I just remembered when I noticed my production
9 > server is running a 32 bit kernel...
10 >
11 > A long time ago, maybe 6 or 7 years, something weird happened when
12 > Linode had some kind of problem (maybe it was another one of their
13 > maintenance processes, I don't recall), I had a heck of a time getting
14 > it back up, I finally had to do a full rebuild, and distinctly remember
15 > changing to a 32 bit kernel during the process, but never changed back.
16 >
17 > Do I need to do a full system rebuild to change back to the 64 bit kernel?
20 It shouldn't matter. The virtual processor (just like a real one)
21 starts up in 16 bit mode and is then set to 32 and then 64 bit mode by
22 software.
23
24 > Also, I haven't played with Linodes 'System Profiles' at all - I was
25 > thinking I'd just create a new profile, add my Gentoo System Image and a
26 > swap image to it, but assign the 64 bit kernel, then if it doesn't work,
27 > switch back. Should I be able to do that without causing any problems to
28 > the current/working profile?
31 I probably wouldn't use the Linode supplied configurations either, but
32 it might be a good idea to run diff on yours and theirs to see what
33 options are different.
34
35 R0b0t1.