From: Ali Polatel <polatel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Other encrypt otions than encfs
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:58:19
1 reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> yazmış:
2 > Nick <gentoo-user@××××××.uk> writes:
3 >
4 > >> dm-crypt[1] and loop-aes[2] are two alternatives. The former has been
5 > >> very reliable for me so far.
6 > >>
7 > >> [1] http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/
8 > >
9 > > Yep, I've been using dm-crypt with LUKS for a while now, without any
10 > > problems whatsoever. Asks mer for the passphrase when I bootup, then
11 > > merrily continues on its way. You can also use a USB disk or some
12 > > other medium to store the passphrase.
13 > >
14 > > It's been a while since I set it up, so I'm rather rusty on how it
15 > > all fits together now, but follow
16 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
17 > > and you'll go far.
18 >
19 > Thanks for some real world input..
20 >
21 > Am I write in thinking dm-crypt does not support using a regular file
22 > (not a partition) as the base of encrypted file system?
23
24 Well, you can create a regular file, mount it as a loopback device and
25 encrypt it. Here is an example:
26
27 # Create a disk image:
28 dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/disk1.img count=50 bs=1M
29 # Set up a loop device
30 losetup /dev/loop/0 /tmp/disk1.img
31 # encrypt it
32 cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/loop/0
33 # then open it with luksOpen
34 cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop0 test
35 # create a filesystem
36 mkfs.whatever /dev/mapper/test
37 # mount it
38 mount /dev/mapper/test /path/to/test
39
40 and write a script to do the last three steps or do it via
41 /etc/conf.d/cryptfs.
44 ali polatel (hawking)
45 I don't drink, I don't like it, it makes me feel too good.
46 -- K. Coates
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list