From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bindmount or symlink?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:54:42
1 On 13.03.2012 09:15, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > If I'm understanding you, you want:
3 >
4 > fstab:
5 > /dev/XX /mnt/p1 ...
6 > /dev/YY /mnt/p2 ...
7 >
8 > and then
9 >
10 > /usr/portage -> /mnt/p1
11 > /usr/src -> /mnt/p2
12 >
13 > (or using bindmounting, whatever).
14 >
15 > This makes no sense at all (at least not to me), when you can simply:
16 >
17 > fstab:
18 > /dev/XX /usr/portage ...
19 > /dev/YY /usr/src ...
20 >
21 > and get the same split filesystem, but without all the complication
22 > you are proposing.
23 >
24 > Unless there is something I don't understand, in which case I'm not
25 > following your reasoning.
26
27 There are 2 possible things one can do:
28
29 1) Split everything, /usr, /usr/src, /usr/portage each on a seperate
30 filesystem.
31 2) Seperate multiple paths from /usr: Have 1 fs /mnt/data and link (or
32 bind mount) /usr/src, /usr/portage there. You have a shared fs for dirx,
33 that are usually not shared.
34
35 What would be the benefits of symlinks and bind mounts for doing 2)?
36
37 Philipp