From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo rebuild, cups won't work WORKAROUND (i.e. mysteriously solved)
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:45:04
1 Dave Jones wrote:
2 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 05/02/08 04:13:
5 >> > hp-setup stubbornly refuses to acknowledge /dev/lp0
6 >>
7 >> > I got it to work, but don't really know what was wrong. The drive
8 >> > that held my root directory and all configs had failed. Friday, i
9 >> > got it back from the DiskSavers, along with the data on a new USB
10 >> > external drive. Copying over the cups config files just magically
11 >> > made the printer work locally.
15 >> > I'm still struggling with a host of issues, so I'm going to ignore
16 >> > the fact that I have no idea what keeps my CUPS working.
20 >> Please check that you have USE=parport enabled for hplip
24 >> Thanks for the help. I did find that hplip was compiled without the
25 >> parport flag. Since local printing on the parallel port is now working
26 >> without it, I wonder what it does?
29 > Dale beat me to pointing out that you may have missed the parport USE
30 > flag, most likely the cause of the problem.
31 >
32 > I guess that you've restored your old /etc/hp/hplip.conf, which was
33 > probably enough to enable the cups print queue once you restored your
34 > /etc/cups directory.
35 >
36 > The hp-setup in the new hplip probably needs the parport USE flag to
37 > determine whether to support parallel port probes. Without the parport
38 > USE flag, I guess that it assumes that you're not interested in them.
41 >> Thanks, and I'll get that info when I have things a bit more stable.
44 > Good luck, hope you get your system stabilised soon.
45 >
46 > Cheers, Dave
49 Dale has added the USE flag parport to his too. Just in case I ever
50 need it. Mine is not grayed out now either. That should work.
51
52 Ain't having all the options neat? Even if you have to recompile things
53 a lot. ;-)
54
55 Dale
56