From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about eix-test-obsolete output
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:07:06
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:02:38 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Redundant is where the package is still available but the /etc/portage.*
5 > > entry is no longer needed. e.g. you have "dev-lib/foobar-1.1 ~x86" in
6 > > package.keyworkd but it is now stable.
7 >
8 > Sounds reasonable, thanks!
9
10 There are much more types of redundancies. E.g. if you marked it twice
11 or with two different keywords etc. Use the REDUNDANT_IF_* variables
12 (described on the eix manpage) to tell eix-test-obsolete in detail what
13 types _you_ do consider as redundant.
14
15 > > Btw: eix-test-obsolete can not check for obsolete use-flags at the
16 > > moment?
17
18 eix does not have support for useflags at all (except for some very
19 primitive cases and checks).
20
21 > I wonder when there will be one single tool [...]
22 > cleaning /etc/portage/
23
24 I think there will never be a convenient tool, because there are too
25 many cases: What somebody considers as obsolete (e.g. an ** unmasking
26 when meanwhile ~x86 is available) is a natural entry for another person.
27 IMHO, except for useflags, eix-test-obsolete cannot much be improved
28 for such a task. In new eix versions you can even provide a file for
29 packages for which you do *not* want to see warnings (e.g. if you *know*
30 that you will always want the ~x86 version of that package, you will
31 not get any warnings if the highest version is stable).
32
33 Regards
34 Martin
35 --