From: Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de>
To: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python, my nemesis
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:40:11
1 On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:20:58 +0100
2 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Well, yeah, your mileage may vary.
5
6 > Quite, if you can get your existing installation to only run a
7 > minimal number of rebuilds to arrive at an upgraded toolchain, then
8 > the benefit of reinstalling wouldn't be there. This could have been
9 > the case on an average year, when python deprecations didn't
10 > accelerate and EAPI didn't change. If however you end up tying up
11 > yourself in knots with subsequent python upgrades and difficult to
12 > resolve conflicts, then the pain Vs gain calculus changes.
13
14 I was already wondering why so many things happened during the
15 (comparatively) short time I didn't watch. Looks like people have been
16 in lockdown with plenty of time to come around with new things.
17 Fortunately, the base installation I have to update doesn't contain
18 many applications (e.g., no X involved). Everything sits on an NFS
19 server with ZFS below it, so it is quite easy to do snaphots and go
20 back and forth between them, and we have plenty to CPU power to rebuild
21 things.
22 OTOH, the orchestration to have the setup re-done in a fully automated
23 way is still under development, so I definitely wanted to try updating
24 before really starting over.
27 cu
28 Gerrit