From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:05:08
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 05 September 2012 12:07:13 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages
5 >> work directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the
6 >> difference in compile times is just not there.
7 > Yes, I'd forgotten that. I just haven't got round to changing it. It
8 > works, so I haven't fixed it. :-)
11 I leave mine on too. I figure the ram will not suffer wear and tear
12 like a hard drive will. Compiling is a good bit of writing, deleting
13 and such and I just think doing that in ram, since it is temporary
14 anyway, is a better deal in the long run. I would think that would be a
15 good idea when using a SSD.
16
17 Off topic a bit. I been using ext4 for my file system since I moved
18 drives around. It has a defrag tool that is just plain wonderful. For
19 anyone that uses ext4, try the command e4defrag. It's simple to use.
20 To check it, e4defrag -c <device, mount point or even a specific file or
21 directory>. If you want it to actually defrag it, just remove the -c
22 option. I find that after a big update, like KDE, it helps to defrag
23 /usr. I defrag my /home on occasion too. I'm still downloading a LOT
24 of TV shows and movies. That goodness for LVM.
25
26 LOL
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!